Banana Bread — Gluten-Free
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups mashed, very ripe bananas
- 1 cup white rice
- 1/4 cup sorghum flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons oat flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons millet flour
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 8 ounce container regular or reduced fat sour cream
- 1/3 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray bottom only of 9 x 5 x 3-inch or 9 x 4 x 4-inch loaf pan or two 13 ounce coffee cans with nonstick cooking spray. (I prefer the coffee cans or 9x4x4 pan best because the bread rises nicely)
- Beat butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer set at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add granulated sugar and brown sugar; beat well. Add egg, egg whites and vanilla; beat until well blended. Add mashed banana, and beat on high speed 30 seconds.
- Combine flours, baking soda, salt, baking powder, xanthan gum and corn starch in medium bowl. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, ending with flour mixture. Add walnuts to batter; mix well.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pan(s). Bake until browned and toothpick inserted near center comes out clean, about 1 hour 15 minutes.
- Cool bread in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove bread from pan; cool completely on wire rack. Slice and serve with butter and jam.
Source: Steve C.